Sunday 27 September 2015

Micro$oft doesn't Care About Its User base

A few weeks ago, I downloaded Windows 10 to try it out. I had a copy of Windows 8.1 pre-installed on my Asus laptop and I decided that I'd give Windows 10 a spin. Mostly, I'm a Linux user and I had Manjaro, an Arch-based distro, installed on my laptop and was dual-booting between the two. Actually, I hadn't used Windows in months since I had purchased the laptop. I had discovered that one could install Arch Linux without having to use the "Arch Way", so I was using that on a daily basis.

Don't get me wrong, I've installed Arch using the method recommended by the Arch wiki, and I was thrilled that I could install a Linux system almost from scratch, without ever resorting to using an installed. That was way cool. But I digress.


After having installed Windows 10, I found that I liked the new modern interface. I like that flat look and the new icons. I like that Micro$oft had finally listened to its user base and brought back the start menu, albeit slightly modified, not to mention ugly.

But here's when my hackles got rather disturbed: I found out that Micro$oft was using Windows 10 to spy on us. Using Cortana, to cite only one example, M$ knew everywhere I went and everything I did on my computer, because Cortana reported everything to them; all of which they could share with the folks over at the NSA and the CIA, for example. That was the straw that broke the camel's back for me. That was what tipped me to the Linux side permanently. I will not use an OS that spies on me only to report what I do to a bunch of spooks who have no fucking right to know that in the first place. I wiped out Windows from my computer and it will never again darken my drive.

With the Linux OS, I don't have that problem, which means that when I use it, it isn't spying on me and then sharing that with spy agencies. When I use Linux, what I do and where I go is not reported to the NSA and CIA, or CSIS (in Canada), or the RCMP. My OS doesn't spy on me. My OS is Linux.

But here's the problem: most users are lazy and don't seem to care that they're being spied upon by the OS they PAY to use. Yeah, that's right, their ass is lazy and they don't give a shit. All they're interested in is having their desktop pre-installed and ready to use. They're content being quite little sheep that are spied upon by the very OS they're hard-earned money bought.

But on the other hand, Linux users by-and-large, are just not militant enough to have their voices heard by computer manufacturers, so that we can have a choice of having Linux pre-installed, instead of some sub-standard OS, like Windows, which is used by the government to spy on its citizens. Your taxes at work, folks.

Windows 10 is a giant piece of spyware, foisted on users by Micro$oft, whose only interest is accumulating profits and keeping their strangle hold on the desktop. If they cared anything about their users, they wouldn't have uploaded tens of thousands of copies of Windows 10 to Windows 7-8 & 8.1 user's computers, without their permission!

Imagine the balls, when a company can take over YOUR computer, the computer YOU paid for, and upload shit in it without ever asking if you even want it or not; in fact, without even notifying you. How's that for stugotz, eh? I'm surprised Satya Nadella can walk with balls like that.

Windows users need to wake up and send a clear message to MS: they need to start installing an OS that won't take them for fools. Linux is free and open software, which means that you are free to make copies for your friends and family and install those copies on their computers if they so wish, and it's all legal. It's free as in Liberty. Do you remember that word, all you Americans out there? You know, 1776, Declaration of Independence, Bills of Rights? Do those still ring a bell?

Why let a company like M$ play you like that when you can easily change your OS, at no cost to you? Wake up people! The Linux OS was developed on a principle of liberty. It won't spy on you, you won't be charged for updates and patches you should get for free, and you can make legal copies and give them to friends and family.


grgaud

No comments:

Post a Comment